1. Introduction: The various steps that are necessary in the work of compilation of subject bibliography are:
2. Planning: Planning is the first stage in the compilation. Planning involves the preparation of provisional plant. It would be subject to modification in the light of experienced gained as the work goes on. The following are the steps involves in planning, a. definition of the subject. B. Scope of the subject etc.
3. Definition of the Subject: This can be collected from a general dictionary, an encyclopedia, a standard subject dictionary and form a standard text book or from the subject experts.
4. Scope of the Subject: It depends upon some factors as:
a) Comprehensiveness or selectivity: The subject bibliography taken to be compilation may be comprehensive or selective and it should be precisely.
b) Period: It should state the time covered and also indicate if it is current or retrospective.
c) Form: The compiler should also state if he should consider the inner form of the document or physical form like books, periodicals, encyclopedias, dictionaries, microfiche, pamphlet, manuscripts, gramophone records etc.
d) Level: the bibliography going to compile is for whom, whether it is for ordinary reader or scholars and researchers.
e) Language: The decision as to which language should be covered whether it should be universal or bilingual or multilingual.
f) Area: The area can be interpreted a either the area of coverage of the subject or geographical place from where the document published, i. e. place of publication
5. Search for Material: The starting point of any search for document is library catalogue then books, periodicals, micro documents etc.
6. Item of Information: If it is a bibliography for ordinary readers brief bibliographical information is sufficient. But is should be descriptive in the case of bibliographies for scholars and researchers. Never less we can follow some standards observed by some standard institution. Information is generally collected in slips, or data entry sheet or cards because that helps in the arrangement.
7. Selection: Selection of required document which suit the purpose of compilation of bibliography should be done in the next step.
8. Kinds of Entries: It is essential to satisfy the approaches through author, collaborator, title (occasionally) and subject. Sufficient member of references should also be provided to take care of alternative approaches.
9. The Arrangement: Some of the possible arrangements are alphabetical, classified, combination of alphabetical and classified, chronological etc. However arrangement of bibliography for a researcher would be different from that of a general reader.
10. Other Adjuncts: The following other adjuncts can be provided to a bibliography
b) List of Contents
c) Method of arrangement
d) Outline of classification used.
e) List of periodicals and other document consulted.
f) List of abbreviation
g) How to use the bibliography with examples.
h) Directory of Publisher etc.
11. Form of Final Presentation: The final form of the presentation of the bibliography may be ob slip cards or magnetic tapes. It may be typed, micro graphed or printed. The decision depends upon the number of users to be served and the amount of resources (manpower and finance) available for their purpose.