1. Landslides involve
(A) Downslope movement of individual rock blocks which is usually not perceptible.
(B) Rapid perceptible movement of relatively dry mass of earth debris or bed rock.
(C) Slow to very rapid movement of water saturated rock debris.
(D) Slow-flowing downslope masses of rock debris saturated with water.
2. Which of the following pairs is not a correct match of desert and country/ continent?
(A) Atacama desert – South America
(B) Gobi desert – Central Asia
(C) Sonoran – West Asia desert
(D) Great Victorian – Australia desert
3. One of the proponents of the turbidity current theory of the origin of submarine canyons was
4. The term panplane refers to
(A) A level surface formed in the old age of fluvial cycle
(B) A level surface formed by wind erosion
(C) A plain formed by marine action
(D) A plain formed by joining of flood-plains
5. In the process of erosion, the removal of material by solution is called
6. Arrange the solar spectrum in ascending order of its wavelength:
(d) Television waves
(A) (d), (c), (b), (a)
(B) (a), (c), (d), (b)
(C) (c), (a), (b), (d)
(D) (b), (c), (a), (d)
7. Energy that is reflected by the atmosphere
(A) Does not heat the atmosphere
(B) Has a different wavelength than the incoming energy
(C) Is usually short energy like visible light which does not penetrate the atmosphere
(D) Heats the atmosphere by absorption
8. Which one of the following statements about the polar jet stream is not true?
(A) It moves northwards during summer.
(B) It supplies energy to the circulation of surface storms.
(C) Its location roughly coincides with that of the polar front.
(D) Its velocity is greater during summer.
9. The percentage of water vapour in the air in the tropical regions may be as high aswww.netugc.com
(A) 4 percent
(B) 10 percent
(C) 30 percent
(D) 50 percent
10. The vertical air flow in an anticyclone results in
(A) Diversion aloft
(B) Conversion aloft
(C) Diversion both aloft and at the surface
(D) Convergence at the surface and divergence aloft
11. The most common salt in the ocean is
(A) Calcium chloride
(B) Sodium nitrate
(C) Sodium chloride
(D) Calcium nitrate
12. In the hydrological cycle evaporation is preceded by
13. Which of the following occupies Trophic Level I in food chain?
(C) Primary consumers
14. Which of the following regions is known as the ‘carbon sink’ of the globe?
(C) N.W. Europe
(D) Tropical rainforest
15. Ecological Niche refers to
(A) Interaction between man and environment
(B) The functional role of an organism in the ecosystem
(C) Interdependence of man and plant
(D) None of the above
16. Who among the following expounded the concept that “the present is the key to the past”?
17. The approach that some of the geographical facts according to Ritter, cannot be explained scientifically, is termed as
18. Whose pioneer statement on the scope and method of modern geography, according to Hartshorne, set the direction of geographic thought for the future?
19. Who among the following geographers emphasized the predominant role of climate in human life?
20. Who is usually given the credit for establishing the validity of the idea that there was an ice age during which ice sheets covered much of northern Europe?
21. Given below are two statements, one labelled as Assertion (A) and the other labelled as Reason (R). Select your answer from the codes given below:
Assertion (A): The metropolitan cities are numerically dominated by male adult population.
Reason (R): Migration is age and sex selective.
(A) Both (A) and (R) are correct and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
(B) Both (A) and (R) are correct but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(C) (A) is correct, but (R) is false.
(D) (A) is false, but (R) is correct.
22. The percentage of Aged population (60+) to the total population in India lies between
(A) 2 – 5
(B) 5 – 10
(C) 10 – 12
(D) 12 – 15
23. Which of the following migration streams experiences the maximum migration in India?
(A) Rural to Rural
(B) Rural to Urban
(C) Urban to Urban
(D) Urban to Rural
24. Which one of the following describes a projected urbanised world or universal city by the end of 21st Century?
25. Which one of the following indicates ‘Random’ distribution of settlements?
26. The stretchability of resource refers to
(A) The ability to find adequate substitution
(B) Susceptibility to destruction
(C) Ability to produce greater yields
27. Which one of the following sequences of land use according to Von Thunen’s model is correct?
(A) Market gardening and fresh milk, firewood and lumber, intensive crop farming
(B) Firewood and lumber, intensive crop farming, market gardening and fresh milk
(C) Intensive crop farming, market gardening and fresh milk, firewood and lumber
(D) Market gardening and fresh milk, intensive crop farming, firewood and lumber
28. Resource creation is the result of
(A) Interaction of natural and cultural processes
(B) Interaction of different natural processes
(C) Interaction of different social processes
(D) Interaction of different economic processes
29. The final stage in the process of energy resource utilization is
(C) Disposal of waste material
30. Who among the following developed the sequential expansion transport network model?
(A) De Souza and Porter
(B) Brown and Bracey
(C) Myrdal, Seers and Rostow
(D) Taaffe, Morrill and Gould
31. The concept of the Geographical Pivot of History was proposed by
32. Which of the following categories does Chile belong to, according to shape?
(B) Fragmented cum elongated
(D) Compact cum elongated
33. The number of children dying in the first year of their birth per thousand live births in a year is called
(A) Death rate
(B) Standardised mortality rate
(C) Infant mortality rate
(D) Life expectancy rate
34. Which one of the following arrangements of States in descending order of literacy rates according to 2011 Census is correct?
(A) Kerala, Mizoram, Tripura, Goa
(B) Kerala, Goa, Mizoram, Tripura
(C) Goa, Kerala, Tripura, Mizoram
(D) Mizoram, Tripura, Kerala, Goa
35. Which one of the following is related to Tribal Economy?
(A) Intensive cultivation
(B) Footloose Industry
(C) Mining and Quarrying
(D) Shifting cultivation
36. What are the bases of agro-climatic regionalization proposed by the Planning Commission of India?
(A) Relief, soil and drainage
(B) Rainfall, temperature and cropped area
(C) Vegetation, soil and land use
(D) Relief, land use and Net sown Area
37. Which category of regions does metropolitan region belongs to?
(A) Formal region
(B) Functional region
(C) Single purpose region
(D) Natural region
38. Who among the following attempted division of India into planning regions?
(A) O.H.K. Spate
(B) L.D. Stamp
(C) R.L. Singh
(D) R.P. Misra
39. In which of the Five Year Plans regional imbalance was given prominence for the first time?
40. Which one of the following is not the ingredient of sustainable development?
(A) Intergeneration transferability
(B) Social Justice
(C) Inter-regional Transferability
(D) Non-optimal resource utilization
41. The main species of the coniferous forests of the Himalayas between the altitudes 1600 metres and 3300 metres are
(A) Cedar, Pine, Sine, Silver fir, Spruce
(B) Sagon and Sakhu
(C) Sandalwood, Rosewood
(D) Oak, Chestnut, Chir, Chil
42. The Bundelkhand plateau covers parts of which two of the following States?
(A) Chhattisgarh & Jharkhand
(B) Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh
(C) Chhattisgarh and Uttar Pradesh
(D) Madhya Pradesh & Chhattisgarh
43. Which of the following places in India ranks second among the coldest inhabited places in the world?
44. Which of the following States has the highest percentage of its agricultural area under canal irrigation?
(A) Madhya Pradesh
(B) Jammu & Kashmir
(D) Uttar Pradesh
45. Which of the following ranges separates the Kashmir Valley from the Indus River Valley?
(A) PirPanjal Range
(B) Dhauladhar Range
(C) Great Himalayan Range
(D) Siwalik Range
46. Which one of the following methods is suitable to represent the proportions of different land uses in a region?
(A) Line graph
(B) Pie diagram
(C) Hyther graph
(D) Triangular diagram
47. The dot method of distribution refers to
(A) Iconic Model
(B) Analogue Model
(C) Symbolic Model
(D) Graphical Model
48. Which one of the following is a relative measure of dispersion?
(A) Standard deviation
(B) Quartile deviation
(C) Coefficient of variation
49. If a map is drawn on RF 1/5500, which one of the following representative fractions will be correct if the map is reduced to half?
50. Consider the following statements and select the correct answer using the codes given below:
(1) NASA is the national acquisition and distribution agency for all satellite data in India.www.netugc.com
(2) NASA sends the de-coded data to the NNRMS whose activities are guided by various Standing Committees.
(A) Only (1) is correct.
(B) Only (2) is correct.
(C) Both (1) and (2) are correct.
(D) Neither (1) nor (2) is correct.